Welcome to our very first edition of The Charming Crumb x Awkwardly Voguish, where you are going to learn how to make Matcha cookies with chocolate chips! For those who have no idea what Matcha is, Matcha is a shaded grown green tea, consumed in the form of powder mixed with a liquid (water or milk) with traceable origins to China and Japan. Cool, huh? The best part of this recipe is its creator Mert Ekmekçi, a professional Kitesurf Instructor who spent weeks traveling Southern Asia and, long time friend with the founder of this site, Awkwardly Jarelis. Enough with the intro and more hands-on deck!
Ingredients + Lots of love!
- 250g/2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 180g/1 1/4 cups Unsalted Butter (Softened)
- 130g/1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 15g/1 Tbsp Matcha Powder
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 60g/3 Tbsp Chocolate Chips (White or Dark Chocolate, up to you baby!)
- Pinch of Salt (do not go too crazy with the salt or, you will end up with salted cookies!)
Instructions: If you follow them to the T, you will be successful!
- Mix the flour and the Matcha powder until reaching a soft texture.
- Beat the softened butter in a bowl with a mixer until creamy. Add the pinch of salt and the powder sugar as your mixing. You should finish with a soft and shiny texture.
- Once you have your soft and shiny texture, you are going to add the egg yolks until dissolved.
- Pour the Matcha and flour mix to the rest of the ingredients.
- Make the chocolate chips rain! Mix them, making sure they are evenly distributed!
- Think you are caught up to this point? Time to take your mix out of the bowl and roll it in the shape of a cylinder (7cm/2.75in height), wrap it in a plastic wrap and, refrigerate it overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 180 Celsius or 350 Fahrenheit.
- Cut your cylinder dough with a sharp knife. You should end with a 7cm x 1.5cm (2.75in x 0.60 in) cookie.
- Place your cookies on a baking sheet giving them enough space that way they do not make as one big mess.
- Bake them for 18 minutes.
- Remove your cookies from the oven. Let them chill for a little bit and enjoy it!
Bonus: White Cholate Dip With Pistachios
- White Chocolate Chips (as desired)
- Pistachios (as desired)
- Splash of Milk (trust your instincts on this one, lol!)
- Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave with a splash of milk.
- Once is melt it, mix it well until creamy.
- Add full or dice pistachios to the mix and… Your dip is ready!
For more #FoodPorn you can follow @The_Charming_Crumb on Instagram! Leave up pictures of your cookies in the comment section below! We sure enjoy food, so go wild!